Wednesday, August 18, 2010

do you have what it takes??

Okay...so i just wanted to try the picture thing bc i didn't know how to use it. haha. i don't really know how to do the fancy things with this blog. But anyways...that is my puppy dog. Well...not really a puppy. he's old...14 years old. He's been really sick the last few days but now he's getting a lot better after the antibiotics. We think he had kennel cough, which I guess is a bad respiratory infection. But..he's a lot better now. More spoiled than ever. Since he was really sick...we had been feeding him so he would eat. He was in real bad shape. Not eating, couldn't even sleep because he had such a hard time breathing, mucus, wheezing. really bad...i hated seeing him like that. i was so scared that he was going to die. :( so anyways...the spoiled part. Now he doesn't want to eat on his own. He is perfectly able to because sometimes he will, but now he wants us to feed him all the time. I'm like...dang dog...we should just let you starve, but then he looks at me with those puppy dog eyes and I can't resist. So...I sit down on the floor and feed his spoiled behind. haha.

Enough about spoiled old puppy dogs. This is my last week of orientation with my preceptor. What does this mean??? Well...it means that next Monday...I will officially be on my own as a nurse! If you're thinking I should be excited then think again. lol. I am excited at the fact that I am actually going to be a nurse nurse...not just a student nurse. But...I am terrified to death!!!! OMG!!!! Do I have what it takes to be a good nurse?? I think as far as the patient rapport goes...I should get 110% because I do believe that I make my patients happy. But, as far as the nursing part...I am soooo scared! I don't want to kill anyone. And like now...with my preceptor. I feel comfortable as a nurse bc I have my preceptor to help me. If I have a concern or question or if I need to double check something...she's there to make sure I do everything right. What about if I am on my own. I won't have her there double checking everything for me! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! But then again...if I don't get on my own...I won't know how to do things totally for myself. I keep having to tell myself that I am new and I don't know how to do everything yet.

And...I ask a million zillion questions. And yesterday...I kept talking to this one doctor all day about my patients because something kept going wrong and I wanted to make sure he was aware of it. It's not like I was calling him every 10 min. He was actually there on the floor so while he was there I figure he should know just to be safe. And it was pretty important stuff I think. So...I keep bothering him and he seems annoyed everytime I talk to him so one time I say half jokingly...I know I keep bothering you *chuckle chuckle* but this patient....... Well...the doctor says...No. you're not bothering me and don't ever be sorry for telling me something or asking me a question. Okay...we'll he says that, but everytime I talk to him he still seems annoyed. It must be my up beat personality. HAHA. maybe that's what he's annoyed about??? Well...it doesn't matter. I honestly don't care if I have to bug him or any doctor a million times a day if I think its important for them to know. I mean...calling every 10 min is too much and I wouldn't do that (i'd just call every 30 min. HAHA. joke na lang), but just the urgent stuff and if I have to get orders. But, I did realize that the doctors come in the mornings so its better to try to think of everything you need to tell them or ask them so you tell them all at once in the mornings like about labs or if you need orders. Of course you won't be able to ask everything in the morning, but its good to try to get the little things out of the way then that will save you some time during the day from calling.

I don't know everything and that is why I ask so many questions. But...the perfectionist part of me is like...you should know how to do that already or you should have known that. But, the reality is that I don't know anything. haha. I have a bachelor's degree in nursing but that does not mean I know everything. It just means I spent a lot of years and money on school. lol. not really...but I just need experience and that will make me more confident.

Its just that...I am so impatient. I want everything NOW! my generation is like that. I was talking to my bffl Lesley last night about that. Our generation is the NOW generation. We want everything instantly. I mean...we have these high tech phones now that you can get anything from facebook, bank statements, directions, and pretty much everything on the world wide web just within seconds of clicking the buttons on your phone. (BTW...side note...I love my phone...Iphone 4...its amazing!) So...Les and I were talking about our generation. Yeah..I can't remember where I was going with this because I got distracted with something. oh well...the point I am trying to make is that we all just need to be patient and let things just happen. I think that everything happens for a reason and we just have to take it as it comes. :))

Okay...I have procrastinated long enough. I have to go into work on my day off to do education stuff. FUN FUN! :D

1 comment:

  1. Oh we are so the now generation. Like, I want a job now, but as you said I know everything comes for a reason. And it will come.

    Oh and that doctors is just jealous of your newness and happiness in the medical field. I bet he was old.

    ReplyDelete